Everyone in the children’s workforce needs to be able to communicate effectively with children and young people. The Communicating with Children and Young People course enables learners to understand how the general principles of effective communication can be applied specifically to work with children and young people. It also addresses record keeping and confidentiality in the context of communicating with children.
About the course
Communicating with children and young people is an essential skill for professionals and carers. The right to freedom of expression is enshrined in the UN Convention on the Rights of the Child (UNCRC) (Articles 12 and 13).
When children feel that they are listened to and that their feelings are valued, they are able to develop a stronger relationship with social workers, foster carers and other professionals. In turn, listening to children’s feelings and needs helps professionals to give effective support and make better decisions about their care.
Because children may not always find it easy to talk about worries or difficult feelings, it is just as important to observe how children behave and what remains unsaid, as well as what they do say. This course covers non-verbal communication in addition to verbal communication and offers advice on listening to children and young people, in addition to important confidentiality and recording procedures.
What it covers:
This short course on Communicating with Children and Young People covers the following topics:
- Child development
- Verbal communication
- Non-verbal communication
- Barriers to effective communication
- Open and closed questions
This course meets the Training, Support and Development Standards as outlined in The Fostering Services (England) Regulations (2011).
Available in other legislations:
More information on communicating with children and young people
For more information on the Communicating with Children and Young People e-learning course, or to enquire about face-to-face training for yourself or your colleagues, please fill in our contact form and we will be happy to contact you.
To read more about this and related courses from AC Education, you can also click here to download our prospectus.
Or to contact us directly, email us at email@example.com or call 01923 850408.
On completing this course on Communicating with Children and Young People, participants will be able to:
- Understand how to communicate effectively with children
- Identify key skills required to communicate competently with children
- Explain how to use open questions
- Describe appropriate responses to enable children to expand on their communication
- Describe a range of appropriate responses to a child who has difficulty in communicating their feelings
- Explain how to use different communications media
- Know about the principles in recording communication with children
- Identify key principles in recording communication with children
- Explain the reasons for, and limits of, confidentiality
- Explain the importance of applying policies and procedures about confidentiality and information sharing
- Identify appropriate ways of recording and sharing information
This course is also available tailored to the Education Sector
This course is available in Australian Legislation.
Foster carer, Carmarthenshire
I have taken lots and lots of e-courses through work and this is the best by far that I have accessed with much more relevant information and the test at the end being more thorough than is normal. I thoroughly enjoyed the course. Thanks.